SPECTRE, the 24th Bond film, went into successful production and a big chunk of it was filmed in the Austrian Tirol. For 31 days, the resorts of Soelden and Obertilliach hosted James Bond himself, Daniel Craig, along with co-stars Léa Seydoux und Dave Bautista. In December 2014, the production office was set up in Sölden for two weeks to co-ordinate the planned filming and to do test shooting of major action sequences with stuntmen and extras in the best Bond way possible.
The producers were thrilled about Tirol’s amazing filming locations and the tremendous cooperation from all the different departments and on site:
- “It’s very surreal, it looks like a painting”, said actor Dave Bautista who has apparently never been on a mountain before while staring at the Ötztal Alps and Tirol’s lofty mountains in awe.
- “It’s a real challenge to be up there but the payoff is stunning scenery and incredible realization. Even the weather was supportive and we shot some fantastic scenes”, said production manager Martin Joy.
- Production designer Dennis Gassner said: “It was a long journey for me through many countries to find this. It’s just absolutely amazing. What could be more exciting than be on top of the world?”
- Unit publicist Heather Callow added: “Everyone had a great time and a great experience here and the shots are spectacular”.
- Producer Barbara Broccoli was very happy to be in Tirol and praised the “5-star infrastructure from base to top, down in the valley and up at an elevation of 3,000 meters” she and her team found here during filming.
James Bond's SPECTRE filming at Tirol locations was covered extensively by national and international media:
- “Geheime Mission führt 007 nach Tirol”, ORF, Austrian Broadcasting Company
- “James Bond läuft Ski in Tirol”, Mittelbayerische, Germany
- “James Bond 007 füllt Hotels in Tirol”, Wirtschaftsblatt, Austria
- “James Bond nimmt Tirol ins Visier”, Tiroler Tageszeitung, Austria
- “007-Action in Obertilliach”, News, Austria
- “James Bond ab heute in Sölden auf Verbrecherjagd”, Krone, Austria
- “Geheimagent in touristischer Mission”, Salzburger Nachrichten, Austria
- “Bonds have more fun when in Tirol”, The Sun
- “James Bond to be filmed in the Austrian Tirol”, Business Week
- “007 tra i monti del Tirolo”, La Stampa
The boost to tourism during the filming of SPECTRE alone was incredible, with about 30,000 guest room nights generated by the film crew in Tirol’s Oetztal Valley and in East Tirol. Hochpustertal in East Tirol reports a 17 percent increase in guest room nights in December 2014. Among the visitors on site were Bond fans from Austria, Germany and Switzerland who wanted to catch a glimpse of Daniel Craig, playing Bond for the fourth time, darting about the Alpine landscape. SPECTRE is set for release in November 2015. The Tirol Tourist Board, Oetztal Tourism/Soelden Ski Resort and East Tirol Tourist Board are planning a variety of initiatives to direct moviegoers’ attention to the Tirolean filming locations and hope it will fuel Tirol's appeal to tourists worldwide. The filming itself has been causing great excitement in the area with creative menu ideas such as “007 Cordon Bleu of the Month”, “Golden Eye French Fries” and “Bond Pizza”, along with “Spectre Shots” and “Skyfall Cocktails”.
Shooting for the new James Bond 007 Movie has created a bit of a stir in Austria, too: It was included in the program of renowned Villach Carnival and carnival floats were elaborately designed in a 007 theme at many places, such as in Sillian. A farmer in Obertilliach named two baby calves that were born on the first day of shooting “Daniel” and “Léa”.
Johannes Köck, Head of Cine Tirol Film Commission, is pleased about the successful filming for new James Bond film SPECTRE in Tirol: “We are very grateful that the joint efforts of Cine Tirol, Location Austria, Film Location Austria, the Government of Tirol and local communities, tourist boards and mountain railway companies in Soelden and Obertilliach have made Tirol the filming site of spectacular scenes of the new James Bond movie. Weather and snow conditions were perfect to shoot some of the major action sequences of the movie in the Alpine setting of Soelden and Obertilliach. The international production team left Tirol with fond memories – we hope they will spread the word in the film industry to open up future filming opportunities. We would love to have more major film productions on location in Tirol. We are eagerly waiting for the release of SPECTRE to see the major action sequences that were filmed in Tirol – and that will be screened worldwide!”
Facts & Figures on the James Bond Filming in Tirol:
The cast of the latest Bond film SPECTRE – Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux und Dave Bautista – were photographed at the beautiful Austrian Alps.
Copyright: © 2015 Columbia TriStar Marketing Group, Inc. and MGM Studios, Photo Credit: Alexander TumaImages